POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot update3) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot update3)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Feb 2009 10:46:16
Message: <4985c3c8$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> schreef in bericht news:49859f64@news.povray.org...
>    Here's the next one with AA and area_light on. Amazingly, this rendered
> in only 58 minutes. I've used 0.5 on the coloured glass for the ambient in
> this one, and diffused the glass colours by 25%. I'm not sure about it, so
> I think I'll try 0.75 to see what that looks like, but what do you think?
> Ok at 0.5?

Yes, this looks much better. Just to be sure, try also 0.75 indeed, and make
your choice :-)
With this kind of testing, I am always reminded of woodworkers or
stomemasons (and jewellers too, of course): scratching here, taking off
there, polishing, chipping again, polishing again. It's a real artisanal
work. Like you said earlier: RL.

> Thanks Thomas! That's actually quite nice as it is, but it came out kind
> of matt in appearance so I put the metallic in a reflection block and
> added conserve_energy to give it some shine. I think it might have too
> much reflection now though. The normals show a little too much but they
> should look better when using better AA.

You are right! The reflection block works better here, but you can scale
that a bit down too. The same thing for the micro normals which can be
dimmed somewhat, but this depends on the aa. I took the example from a scene
I am working on, where the reflections should be virtually absent.

> Oh, and added a switch. :)

Nice one!

Thomas